The Best Road Trip Junk Food List on the Internet
Keep hunger at bay during a road trip with the best list of snacks to pack while on the road.
Road trips are one of the best ways to travel long-term and see a country from a new perspective. However, no road trip packing list is incomplete without the ultimate stash of snacks and junk food too much on while on the road. From sweet treats to savory delights, junk food is the key to hunger during any successful road trip.
Keeping snacks on hand keeps you from pulling into any fast food restaurant you come across when hunger strikes. Instead, keep a cooler packed in the back full of all your favorite treats, drinks, and of course junk food. Not only will it save you time and money, but it will also keep you happy and healthy while on the road.
After taking part in multiple road trips, we’ve compiled a list of the best junk food options to fill your craving and keep the ‘hangriness’ away. Be sure to browse through this list of junk food ideas before heading to the supermarket, or ordering any last-minute items for your trip. If you happen to forget something that suits your taste buds, don’t worry, gas stations typically have some great options.
Here is a list of the best road trip snacks to keep on hand during your next road trip adventure.
Junk Food doesn’t always have to be unhealthy. Snacks can come in all shapes, sizes, and flavors. When packing your cooler, be sure to be aware of expiration dates, packaging dates, and ingredients. Snacks that are non-perishable and long-lasting are ideal for long road trips and adventures.
- Dried Fruit: Dried fruit such as apples, bananas, mangos, peaches, etc.
- Peanut Butter: Peanut butter or almond butter for spreads and dipping; apple slices make for a great match.
- Applesauce: Pre-packed applesauce packets are a great snack option for children as they are resealable and long-lasting.
- Veggies: Celery, carrots, and baby tomatoes are ideal for a healthy snack, be sure to keep these items in a concealed container or cooler for long periods of time.
- Nuts & Seeds: Anything such as almonds, peanuts, cashews, trail mix, sunflower seeds, chickpeas, etc.
- Packaged Tuna: Pre-packed or canned tuna is great for protein while on the road and a perfect pair for crackers.
- String Cheese: String cheese or baby bell cheese rolls are easily packed, and are individually packed for single servings and sharing.
- Beef Jerkey: If you are going to splurge at the gas station, there's nothing better than a wide variety of beef jerky flavors.
Avocados & Bananas: Rather than dried fruit, if eaten quickly, fresh fruit choices are also possible, such as avocados or bananas.
- Protein Bars: Stay energized and awake while on the road with fresh and healthy protein bars for a blend of vitamins and flavor.
- Hard Boiled Eggs: Another healthy cooler snack is premade hard-boiled eggs; try not to eat them all at once.
- Muffins & Bread: If you are friends with a baker, be sure to bring along some homemade muffins or banana bread for a breakfast snack on the road.
It’s no secret that the best and most convenient snacks to have on hand during a road trip are unhealthy junk food options. Cookies, cakes, candies, and anything filled with sugar are bound to make their way into your vehicle before a road trip. However, there's no better time to cheat your diet or indulge in your favorite sweets rather than on vacation.
- Crackers & Triscuits: Saltine, club crackers, or baked Triscuits are great alone, prepared with cheese or peanut butter.
- Chips: One of the most popular junk food by far are potato chips. These salty snacks come in all kinds of flavors, but be careful, you can never eat just one!
- Slim Jims: A cheaper and less healthy version of beef jerky, slim jims are conveniently wrapped individually for single snack use.
- Popcorn: Just like potato chips, packed popcorn is addicting, it’s impossible to eat just one piece. Flavors can come in sweet, salty, savory, and fruity.
- Pretzels: Pretzels are a perfect long-lasting treat on the road; splurge for peanut butter stuffed pretzels for extra protein.
- Fruit Gummies: Ideal for children, fruit snacks and gummies are a good alternative to real fruit slices, less healthy, but with the same tasteful flavors.
- Candy: Any candy option is perfect for the car, ranging from chocolate bars, lollipops, gum, jaw breakers, smarties, sweaters, skittles, etc.
- Cookies: A road trip isn’t complete with the perfect box of cookies. Whether you prefer chocolate chips, sugar, peanut butter, or snickerdoodle, no cookie is off limits on a road trip.
Drinks for the Road
Staying hydrated on the road is essential for a safe and happy road trip. You will also need something to wash all of those sweet and salty snacks packed away in your backseat. Depending on your preference, individually bottled drinks or premade options are ideal for long trips on the roads. Consider beverages such as:
- Bottled Water choices such as still water, sparkling water, or flavored water, such as propel.
- Tea & Coffee are prepared and kept in a thermos to keep warm or cold, whichever your preference.
- Energy Drinks such as Bang, Monster, or Full Throttle
- Hydrating Drinks such as Gatorade, Powerade, and Body Armor.
I hope this list has sparked your sweet tooth and given you some great ideas for junk food options during a road trip. Be sure to refer back to this guide when loading up the car, and cooler, before your next road trip adventure.
About the Author
Hi I'm Ali Sullivan. I have been traveling full time for the past 5 years and have been to over 30 countries on 4 different continents. During this time I worked overseas in multiple countries as well as online and transitioned fully to online work in 2020. Find me here on Instagram.